Every child is special

Wednesday, January 16, 2008



"Akki, you SO have to watch this!" The next thing I know is, I'm being dragged in front of the TV to watch a Hindi Film. I like Hindi films...I like to watch them when I have absolutely nothing better to do because most of them are very predictable.

So, as I sat on the sofa to witness another soppy hindi film, I thought to myself NEVER to succumb to my sister's wishes ever again. But to be honest, it was one of the best films I had watched! The plot was brilliant and not a cliche (like many other hindi films)

From the beginning of the film till the end, I was mesmerized. None of the scenes were predictable. It brought out the ignorance of most people when it comes to children with special needs. Most parents are oblivious to Autism, Dyslexia and other such problems and confuse them with the child's laziness to work or "ATTITUDE" as they call it.

Ishaan, the protagonist is notably a child with special needs. This is overlooked by his parents because he does not look abnormal. His inability to read and write is, in his parents' eyes, merely a "STUBBORN ATTITUDE TOWARDS SCHOOL WORK" What they fail to realize is the pattern of his mistakes which relates to Dyslexia.

Later it is revealed that Ishaan has above average intelligence. Aamir Khan uses comparisons with Thomas Alva Edison, Albert Einstein etc to show the audience that even children with special needs can turn out to be World Famous.

If you ever come across "Taare Zameen Par" make sure that you watch it. Moving and very touching, it'll change your perspectives on life VERY subtly!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are we doing enough for those children who have special needs about whom we are aware of? It's so easy to watch a movie and comment on its humanity. What we really need on the groiund is some real action on our part. Let's do it, now!

Reduce your environmental footprint